Thursday, August 28, 2008

Garden Harvest

My neighbor and I have been very busy lately in the garden. The green beans seem to always need to be pulled along with the summer yellow squash and zuchini. I think the kids and Josh are getting tired of eating squash, he's is always trying to give it away. You know its bad when the neighbors see you coming, and hide.
The tomatoes finally turned red this week. YUMMY! I have been enjoying tomatoes in my salad all week. By the way we grew our own lettuce too! It is a mixture of red, green, & romaine lettuce. We also started picking some of our carrots and cucumbers.

So picking time means canning and preserving time. Josh and I put up 12 pints of corn, and 8 pints of green beans. My neighbor made 5 pints of salsa with the tomatoes we picked this week and two types of pickles.I made 12 1/2 pints of sweet pickle relish and have also blanched and frozen many, many bags of green beans, corn, and bell peppers in the last two weeks. Josh made rasberry and peach freezer jam also.It has been a very busy couple of weeks with lots more harvesting to come. Thanks to the Briscoe family for letting us use their garden space. I have learned so much about gardening and have enjoyed the time I spend up there. It provides lots of time to think when you are picking weeds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are getting ready to can 40# peaches, 40# of nectarines. 8 boxes of apples will become pie filling, apple butter and maybe some more applesauce.
We will pick pears and blackberries this week. Cinnamon pears are our favorite. Blackberry Jam.We already did Strawberry and Raspberry jam. I froze some blackberries for smoothies. I love it. If my tomatoes ever get done I want to make Salsa.

Rebecca H. said...

Yummy.I've been thinking about doing some apple butter also. Do you have a good recipe? E-mail me it please. Do you pick your own berries up there?