Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Family Home Evening

Last Monday our family was invited to dinner and Family Home Evening by an widowed sister in our ward. She also happens to be Ethan's primary teacher. After a wonderful dinner of chicken, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and salad. . .we held Family Home Evening.

Family Home Evening at our house is unpredictable. Some weeks are awesome. Others are not quite so good. So, when this sister asked us to come prepared with a Family Home Evening lesson, I'll admit I was a little nervous as to how the kids would act. The lesson was on the Brother of Jared. It was a cute lesson, with the kids acting out the parts and having a lot of fun with the whole thing. We sang songs with this sweet sister and prayed with her. Overall, the kids acted pretty well, and everything seemed to go okay.

The next day, this sweet sister brought over a cup we had left at her house, and said "I'll never read the story of the Brother of Jared the same." We had a good laugh on the porch of the house and parted ways. Afterward, I thought about the lesson. It was a little. . .shall we say. . .off the wall. In other words, a typical FHE for us - other than a great experience for our family and something we should do more often!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

This is such a good idea!! I think it would be hard with the little ones but such a great thing for the older ones!! I have got to do this for FHE one time! There are several older couples in our ward who love the company so that would be fun and a good learning experience for all of us!! THank you great Idea!!