Saturday, July 18, 2009

Make it stop!! 5 reasons you know you have too much Zucchini

We planted a garden at my Father in laws house this year since we didn't know where we would end up. We have had great success with everything so far. The peas are already plucked and frozen, the first batch of green beans were canned last week and I have already been making fresh salsa.

I asked Von to plant 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash. I'm really the only one that eats them, but I sure do love them in the summer time. So I'm having a hard time keeping up with what is producing. I've made zucchini bread, snuck it into meals (don't tell the kids), and steamed it for lunch. But last night after I went and picked, I had 8 fresh zucchini with 5 more about to pick. AGH!! I came home and googled too much zucchini and got lots of things to read and laugh about.
I thought I would share this list of top 5 reasons you have too much zucchini

  1. You have zucchini bread for breakfast, a zucchini omelet for lunch, zucchini casserole for dinner and chocolate zucchini cake for dessert.
  2. Your boss posts a sign in the office—“No Zucchinis. Violators Will Be Punished.”
  3. You leave zucchini on a table by the road with a sign saying “Free to a good home.”
  4. You’re planning a neighborhood party and only serving zucchini recipes.
  5. Your neighbors run inside and turn out the lights when they see you coming.
One idea that interested me was dehydrating them. That way I could use them in the winter, they wouldn't take up a lot of space and would not have to be in the freezer. I have been amazed how small they scrunch up to.
How do you all use up those over producing zucchinis? I would love for you to share some comments or recipes to try out.

1 comment:

meegz said...

Fry it up...bread with eggs and flour -- your kids might even try it. It's the only way philip will eat them.