Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lesson Learned


I carpool with the neighbors for Kindergarten pickup. This last week I was talking with one of the other mothers when she was dropping off Isaac. She asked me to smell her car and tell her if it stinks. I raised my eyebrow, but stuck my nose in the car and gave it a good wiff. No out of the ordinary smells. She proceed to tell me that for a couple of weeks now, Isaac has been calling her car the stinky car. When she comes to pick up the kids, He sees her and says "Oh no, I have to go in the stinky car today." She said she couldn't smell anything, but she did clean her car out just in case. She's tried to just play along with him, but she wondering if she was missing something in her car that maybe there family was used to.

Ok - at this point, The color in my cheeks must have been bright red. I was sooooo embarrassed. I went later that day and had a chat with Isaac about not telling people there car stinks. I explained how upset our neighbor was and how he had hurt her feelings. We left it at that.


Today, Sunday, Our neighbors pulled in next to us at church. I was busy getting Abigail out of her car seat, while Issac jumped out of the car and ran to their van. I figured he was looking for his friend. When I walked to the other side, Isaac was gone, but my neighbor said that Isaac had just apologized for saying her car was stinky. After I picked my mouth up off the ground, I told her that was unprompted from me. In fact we hadn't talked about it in 4 days.


As I walked into the chapel, I had a really good feeling inside. There are days I often wonder if anything I say really gets through to him.


It does. He listened.

No comments: