Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Ghost of Christmas past

I was thinking last night about the Christmas traditions or memories I have as a child. Since I use this as a family history journal, I decided to write some of my memories here.

The Christmas season always started for me on the drive home from my grandma & grandpa's house after Thanksgiving dinner. I would search the east side of El Cajon for the big star on the top of the mountain. That was the signal, that the season had arrived. I remember driving in our big yellow van to "Candy Cane lane" in Chula Vista to see the lights.

I remember the warm feelings I felt one year when our family gave the 12 days of Christmas to an elderly couple in our ward. I would always look forward to our FHE when we would all go as a family to pick a real tree off the lot or chop one down on a farm. Dad would bring it in the house and we would all help to decorate the tree. I still love the smell of fresh cut pine.

Christmas Eve was spent at the Endicott side. There was good food, laughter, lots of visiting with relatives and the gift exchange game. The big part of the evening was a visit from Santa. After we made it back to our own home, we would read Luke 2 as a family.

Christmas morning we all met in my parents room. We were required to line up, youngest to oldest and come down the hall. Dad would already have a fire in the fireplace and the lights on the tree. Gifts when we were young, were ripped open quickly. As we grew up, we took turns watching each other. Grandparents would come soon to share gifts and see what Santa had brought. After breakfast, we would then go to family Christmas day gatherings.

The tree did not come down in our home until after Allen (12/31)and Brian's(1/3) birthdays.

I would love to hear some of your memories from your childhood. I look forward to reading them on your blogs.

coming soon: the ghost of Christmas present

1 comment:

Mandy said...

good memories!! I love this time of year although it has gotten a lot more busy as I have gotten older! Maybe I just fill it too much! I don't know but I still love it!